Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Perfect Sentiment: A Sparkly Christmas!

I am so excited about the challenge we have for you this week at The Perfect Sentiment!
It is to make a card that reflects a sentiment for Christmas. The twist is to make it sparkle!
The card I made is also my card for this week at Classy Cards 'n Such.

I had been decorating my house for Christmas last week. On my Christmas tree my favorite ornaments are the ones I have had for many years, as they represent so many wonderful memories. Among them are several from my childhood and even quite a few that had belonged to my maternal Grandmother- some over 100 years old. (You can see them here in "Decking The Halls" and here a little closer up in "More Christmas Decorations" from a couple of my Christmas posts I did last year.)
I love antique and vintage ornaments , so when thinking of the card to make, I decided to create something with a vintage look to it. And, since I love sparkle and glitter so much, I added that element as well, and realized it would be great for this week's challenge, too!

I started with a base of Stampin' Up!'s Early Espresso card stock, followed by a layer of Christmassy red (Stampin' Up!'s Cherry Cobbler) over it. Then, I die cut Stampin Up!'s Deck The Halls patterned paper using the awesome Dainty Dutch Deco frame from Cheery Lynn Designs. The detail in this die is incredible!
In the center of the frame I put my sparkly vintage ornament. It was die cut using silver glitter card stock and one of the Nestabilities 2010 Heirloom Ornament dies.

Then I added a few leaves and layers of flowers from Prima's glittered floral embellishments. But the problem is, this thick glittery paper is difficult to adhere things to. So let me introduce you now to my new best friend: Scor Tape! I had never used it before, despite having been told by several of my crafty friends how great it is. Well I just have to say, this stuff is awesome! I had been using red backed tape for years. But it can be pretty pricey and I had run out. So, I figured I'd try this. I am so glad I got a roll of each of the three available sizes because I love it! It holds great and I think it's easier to use, as the backing comes off more easily and doesn't stick to you the way that static-y red backing can, lol. And I found I got a lot more of it for a lower price- only $5.00 for 27 yards! If you've never tried it, I urge you to give it a shot. I sure wish I hadn't waited so long to get some!

In the center of the flower I put a few tiny red rhinestones.

At the top of the ornament I made a bow out of one of my favorite embellishments: the Ecru Delight lace. I find it goes so well with so many things and is so easy to tie and work with. And priced at only .50 cents per yard, you just can't beat it! :-) I tied my little tag (made using Stampin' Up!'s Tiny Tag set and punch, with Artichoke card stock) into the lace using ivory colored sewing thread.

I added a stamped label which I made using Stampin' Up's Winter Post stamp set and colored with Artichoike, Cherry Cobbler and Espresso markers down in the bottom corner. Then for a little more elegance I put some beautiful Want 2 Scrap red pearls in the upper left corner.

The ornament on my card may not look exactly like my cherished grandmother's ornaments, but I love the vintage feel of my card- with all that wonderful sparkle to top it off!
I hope this has inspired you to make a sparkly Christmas card, too.

Our sponsor this week is Kania's A*Muse Studio, who is offering a wonderful prize of a $15.00 gift certificate! (U.S. participants only, please. If our willer is from outside the U.S., digital images will be sent.)
You can visit Kania's A*Muse Studios at https://www.amusestudio.com/jskania

Be sure to check out all the blogs from The Perfect Sentiment design team:
And our newest guest designers for December:

After you have soaked up all that inspiration I hope you will create your own wonderful, sparkly Christmas card and share it with us at The Perfect Sentiment! You have until 10:00PM EST Tuesday to get your card linked.


I am also linking this card to these challenges: I Brake For Vintage IBFCC15, over at I Brake For Challenges; The Artistic Stamper, for their Christmas challenge; Colour Create for challenge 85- Red, White and Green; Papertake Weekly Challenge Blog: Anything Goes; and Crafty Catz Challenge 111: The Colours of Christmas With The Option Of Sparkle.
Thank so much for visiting my blog today.
I'd love it if you'd take a moment to leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Wishing you Christmas Blessings,
Sarah




9 comments:

Leslie Culver said...

Your skill is always in the little details........simply gorgeous! Glad to see you crafting. Hope to post more in 2012 as our lives take some new turns. Keep in touch!

Jacquel said...

Very pretty Sarah!

Unknown said...

Sarah this is stunning. Your cards are like masterpieces, so much time, thought and creativity in each one.

Have a great day!

Susan Joyce said...

Hi Sarah,
Your card is gorgeous, love the sparkly ornament,the flower and the vintage punched border.
Beautiful!

Kimberly J. said...

Sarah this is just beautiful!! I really love the lace, those pearls and that really pretty flower!! :) Great card!

Janette said...

Hi Sarah, Just love your card, it's so elegant and pretty. Thanks for sharing it with us at CraftyCatz this week.xx

Jenn Fontaine said...

What a stunning card! So beautiful Sarah~really every little detail works together so perfectly!

Scrappin Abby said...

This card is just beautiful Sarah...I am like you..I love the vintage look & that's the look I use for my holiday decorating. Great job as always :)

Ina G said...

Words can't describe how AWSOME this card is.