Sunday, October 17, 2010

Heart & Soul

Heart and soul, I fell in love with you,
Lost control, the way a fool would do,
Gladly...
Because you held me tight,
And stole a kiss in the night..


And so goes this wonderful song written by Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser. It was recorded in 1938 by Larry Clinton and his Orchestra featuring Bea Wain. It was one of the songs on a compilation cd my Dad made many years ago and sent to me. I dug it out over the weekend and as I was playing it my teenage daughter came in asking me who was singing. She loved the song and continued to listen to the cd with me. I told her this was "Grandpa's music" and that I have lots of it. She stayed up with me late Saturday night listening to wonderful songs from the 1930's and 1940's and loved them. We had such fun.

It got me pulling out lots of great old tunes today as well... Fred Astaire doing Cheek To Cheek, and The Way You Look Tonight; Billie Holiday singing Says My Heart; Sarah Vaughan performing The Very Thought Of You, and The Man I Love... I could go on and on (I'm listening to You Turned The Tables On Me by Benny Goodman right now). There are so many songs from this era that I just love. I guess it's no wonder that when I took the "What era are you from?" quiz on FaceBook that the answer was "The 40's", lol!

So... these songs are the theme for the cards I am choosing to share with you tonight.
As I look at them I can hear those wonderful melodies and romantic lyrics. Can you?


I love how the beautiful colors of these flowers (above) worked so well with the paper. Even the copper brad seemed perfectly matched. (You can click on the pics to enlarge to see detail.)

The gold heart (below) was something I'd been saving for just the right card. Was this the right choice?


And I love this sentiment. I was so glad it fit ;-)


So, after I finished that card I just couldn't stop there. I was loving the paper, the colors, the romantic feel of it so I decided to make a variation of the card. And now I can't even decide which one I like best. How about you?


I decided to only partially "frame" her, as I didn't want to cover too much of this gorgeous paper up.


The "lace" frame on both of the cards was made using a white paper doily. Lots of cutting and piecing together, and tons of ink sponged on it!


I love the lace ribbon and pearl ribbon buckle.


Another sentiment that I thought worked well for the card.

So... do you suddenly feel like listening to some romantic dance music from the 30's or 40's? ;-)

Thanks SO much for stopping by today. I am sorry I have been away for a while. I'd love for you to leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I'll be back soon to share some more things I have been making...

Wishing for God's Blessings upon you!

Supplies used to make these cards:
STAMPS: Image Stamp "Woman In Repose" by Rubber Stampede; "Even More" by Verses Rubber Stamps; sentiment stamp from "Always" set by SU!
PAPER: Patterned paper by Graphic 45; SU! Early Espresso, Very Vanilla and Vellum c/s
INK: SU! Early Espresso
OTHER: Prima flowers; SU! copper brad; paper doilies; lace ribbon; pearl ribbon buckle; brass heart finding; SU! oval and scalloped oval punches; SU! Chocolate Chip satin ribbon; Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sarah this is gorgeous! You are so creative and each of your creations show the time and love you put into them. I just love the little card you sent me, I am saving it, it's simple and beautiful!

Thank you for keeping in touch with me. I hope you're doing well. Hugs!

Amanda said...

Sarah these cards are gorgeous!!! They look so feminine and ... wow! Thanks for your visit to my blog and your kind comments.
Have a fantastic week!

Jacqueline (Scraps of Life) said...

Sarah

Both of those cards are just GORGEOUS! I love the paper you used and all of your embellishments are just perfect. Definitely make me think of those songs you mentioned. So romantic!

Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog! I'm honestly surprised people even still follow my blog with how little I write these days, LOL. But I'm glad you stopped by and thank you so much for your encouraging words!

Keep up the great work here!
~Jacqueline

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Dearest Sarah,
I am deeply touched by the comment you left on my blog and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your thoughts and prayers. They mean more to me than you will ever know. I was saddened to hear of your tremendous losses and my heart goes out to you so much. If you ever need someone to talk to I want you to know I am here friend.
I loved reading your post, the music you wrote about brought back so many memories of when my Dad would play his records every Sunday and we would listen to those wonderful songs. I just loved them as a child and still do.
Your cards are absolutely stunning Sarah, you are so very talented and creative. I just love the design and the paper and embellishments all look so beautiful together like they were made for each other. The sentiments are so touching and beautiful, perfect for each card.
Love & Hugs, Carol Anne

Pam W. said...

Well Miss Sarah, you certainly can do vintage. These cards are lovely. The sentiment on the first one made me think of Rodney.

I'm glad to see that you are back to blogging. I miss you when you are away.

Susan said...

Hey, Sarah, what a treat to read your musings and all that wonderful music. Funny, I love all the artists you mentioned, but tonight, I've been listening to Van Morrison and Stevie Ray Vaugh, and Elton John and Leon Russell...you know what they say about variety is the spice of life!

Your two romantic cards are outstanding. I really like the first one with it's gorgeous hand created lace. You did an amazing job.

Happy creating and looks like the time we both had away from the blogging world refreshed us!