Saturday, May 29, 2010

Remembrance

Being Memorial Day weekend, and having lost my Dad (who was a WWII Vet), my Mom, and my brother all over the last 5 years, Memorial Day is fast becoming more significant to me each year.

And now that I live fairly close to a Military base, I am more aware than ever how many people and their families make sacrifices for our freedom.

Please let's remember that this weekend is about more than a first trip to the beach for the year, or a backyard BBQ.

Many, many thanks to our wonderful servicemen and women! May God always bless you!!

I was going to wait until Monday to post this for Memorial Day, but as I thought more about it I decided I'd rather do it sooner than later. As everyone is now well into the holiday weekend, I am hoping that there's more on their minds than just having a good time.

I have recently joined a wonderful group of paper crafters over on CPC (Christianpapercrafts) and started doing some of their challenges.
The other night, I did this one. It was a challenge by Angela, and it was to create something (with a Bible verse) that would honor Memorial Day and all the Veterans who have given their lives or put their lives at risk for out Country.

This is what I came up with

I embossed the image from SU!'s "The Free & The Brave" stamp set using Versamark and black embossing powder, then I used Prisma colored pencils to color it all in.
These wonderful patriotic brads have been sitting in a jar for a long time, just waiting to be used.
The sentiment is from SU!'s "Say It With Scriptures" set. I colored the letters with SU! markers.
The solid c/s is all SU!; the stars BG paper is from DCWV and the BG paper with the flags is from Colorbok.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I wish you a safe and blessed Memorial Day weekend!


8 comments:

Cass said...

Sarah, this is stunning! I can see the time and love you put into this card. Very nice!

Pam W. said...

Great design. I, too, hope that we all take a moment to think of our soldiers and their families.

Love your new pics.

stampmiser said...

This card is really wonderful, Sarah! Enjoy your day.

Reflections with Coffee said...

Sarah, so lovely. Full of details.

Jonia said...

Sarah, what a beautiful card and so meaningful! I love everything about it. Great job! Glad I saw your blog address on CPC.

Jacqueline (Scraps of Life) said...

This card is absolutely amazing! It gave me goosebumps! My hubby is in the navy and I know that he appreciates it when people show the military some appreciation and respect. I know he'd love this card! I know I love it!

Chris said...

Beautiful card Sarah! TFS!

Jennipher Lowery said...

I love this scripture. Awesome card.