Saturday, May 29, 2010

Remembrance

Being Memorial Day weekend, and having lost my Dad (who was a WWII Vet), my Mom, and my brother all over the last 5 years, Memorial Day is fast becoming more significant to me each year.

And now that I live fairly close to a Military base, I am more aware than ever how many people and their families make sacrifices for our freedom.

Please let's remember that this weekend is about more than a first trip to the beach for the year, or a backyard BBQ.

Many, many thanks to our wonderful servicemen and women! May God always bless you!!

I was going to wait until Monday to post this for Memorial Day, but as I thought more about it I decided I'd rather do it sooner than later. As everyone is now well into the holiday weekend, I am hoping that there's more on their minds than just having a good time.

I have recently joined a wonderful group of paper crafters over on CPC (Christianpapercrafts) and started doing some of their challenges.
The other night, I did this one. It was a challenge by Angela, and it was to create something (with a Bible verse) that would honor Memorial Day and all the Veterans who have given their lives or put their lives at risk for out Country.

This is what I came up with

I embossed the image from SU!'s "The Free & The Brave" stamp set using Versamark and black embossing powder, then I used Prisma colored pencils to color it all in.
These wonderful patriotic brads have been sitting in a jar for a long time, just waiting to be used.
The sentiment is from SU!'s "Say It With Scriptures" set. I colored the letters with SU! markers.
The solid c/s is all SU!; the stars BG paper is from DCWV and the BG paper with the flags is from Colorbok.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I wish you a safe and blessed Memorial Day weekend!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, this is stunning! I can see the time and love you put into this card. Very nice!

Pam W. said...

Great design. I, too, hope that we all take a moment to think of our soldiers and their families.

Love your new pics.

Staci said...

This card is really wonderful, Sarah! Enjoy your day.

Betty: Reflections with Coffee said...

Sarah, so lovely. Full of details.

Jonia said...

Sarah, what a beautiful card and so meaningful! I love everything about it. Great job! Glad I saw your blog address on CPC.

Jacqueline (Scraps of Life) said...

This card is absolutely amazing! It gave me goosebumps! My hubby is in the navy and I know that he appreciates it when people show the military some appreciation and respect. I know he'd love this card! I know I love it!

Chris said...

Beautiful card Sarah! TFS!

Anonymous said...

I love this scripture. Awesome card.